IFLA's successful Building Strong Library Associations (BSLA) programme is being through a series of convenings and projects at the regional level in Africa, Asia and Oceania, and Latin America and the Caribbean from 2014. This workshop is an outcome of the Africa Regional convening held in Kumasi, Ghana, in February 2014.
The workshop will include training from the BSLA programme, group work, discussions, and practical activities to take back to national associations to implement at the national or regional level. During the workshop, associations will identify their own needs for further activities and development and form action plans for implementation. The workshop language will be English.
To build a strong library sector that benefits society, associations need a strong foundation in representation, governance, organisational development and strategy. The long-term goal of the programme is to build the foundation for library associations to assist their work in representing the interests of library users, telling the story of libraries and gaining policymaker support and partnership.
The workshop will:
- Reinforce inter-country networks and expertise to support development in the regions;
- Increase understanding and adoption of IFLA policies and manifestos to support high quality library and information services.
Register to attend the workshop
Registration is open until 30 April 2014. Attendance at the workshop is at participants’ own expense. Associations that have not participated in BSLA workshops previously are particularly encouraged to attend.
Workshop participants should have:
- Demonstrated, current active leadership within their national or regional association;
- A depth of understanding of issues that have a current or expected impact on the library and information services sector on a national and regional level;
- The ability to use their knowledge and experience to develop the capacity of their Association after the convening.
To register to attend the workshop, contact:
IFLA Regional Manager for Africa
IFLA Regional Office for Africa
Tel: +2712 429 6374
+2711 471 2826
Fax: +2712 429 6130
Mobile: +2772 7145 125
Please include the following details to complete your registration:
- National or Regional Association name
- Names of the representatives that will attend the workshop, and their position in the Association
- Library association profile: does it provide services and run activities for members, have a strong governance structure, a clear direction and strategic plan? Please outline the objectives for your association’s current strategic plan, and an overview of progress towards these goals.
- Needs assessment: How will your participation in the workshop complement any existing development projects that the association is undertaking? What are some of the Library Association's strengths? What are some of the challenges facing the Association?