Call for Papers
The SCECSAL XXIII Organizing Committee has the pleasure of inviting Library and Information Professionals to the twenty third Standing Conference of Eastern, Central and Southern Africa Library and Information Associations (SCECSAL XXIII) to be hosted by the Uganda Library and Information Association (ULIA), in Kampala, Uganda.
ULIA welcomes proposals for papers to be presented at the conference. The papers are expected to include both the theoretical and practical elements of Library and Information Science and Record Management.Theme: Positioning Library and Information services to achieve Sustainable development: Innovations and Partnerships.
1. Inclusive library and information services for national development
2. Universal literacy through library and information services
3. Broadening LIS partnerships to achieve SDGs
4. Innovations in LIS Education
5. Innovations in the delivery of Library and information services
6. Trends in Gender and information services
7. Library and Information Services advancing open governance
8. Agricultural information services and food security
9. Bettering health through Library and information services
10. Open data, Open science and Intellectual property
11. Data science and LIS institutions
12. Cloud Computing and Information management
13. Indigenous knowledge and preservation of cultural heritage
14. Effective records management to fight corruption
15. Promoting Information Ethics for sustainable development
Requirements for submission of Abstracts for papers:
Abstracts of not more than 300 words, must address the theme and sub-themes, and should have the following details:
i) Title of the abstract;
ii) Name(s) of the author(s) with official titles or professional role;
iii) Author’s affiliated institution;
iv) E-mail contact of the corresponding author, and;
v) A maximum of four keywords.
The abstracts must be submitted to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission of Abstracts: 30th April 2017
Notification of acceptance: June 2017
Submission of full paper: September 2017
Review of submitted paper: October 2017
Submission of camera ready paper: December 2017
Call for Posters
ULIA welcomes proposals for Posters to be presented at the conference. The posters are expected to include the practical elements of Library and Information Science and Records Management.
Poster Presentation Format and Guidelines
1) Your topic could be described on a printed poster with text.
2) The language of the conference is English and therefore text on the posters should be in English.
3) The recommended standard poster size should range from 841mm wide x 1189mm high 900mm wide x 1900mm high. If you also include text, it should also fit within the recommended area
4) It is important that applicants describe in their abstract how they intend to present the project in the poster format – what kind of visual materials they will use, for example, photographs, data samples, graphs, et cetera, and how these illustrate the project or a particular aspect of the work. The poster has to be an experience in itself for the one who looks at it – and should show awareness of the format of a poster-session and its purpose to engage the viewer in conversation.
5) The abstracts should be in a structured format (Introduction, methods, findings, conclusion and recommendations)
6) The poster should focus on either the general conference themes or one of the sub-themes
7) Presenters of a poster will be expected to be present on 23rd – 28th April 2018 in order to explain their posters and to hand out any leaflets, or other information materials, they have available for viewers of their poster. Each presenter can therefore only present one poster. Any organization that submits more than one application should indicate a priority to their submissions or confirm there will be enough staff members available for the presentation.
8) A jury representing the SCECSAL Program Committee will review all submissions and decide which posters will be accepted.
Poster proposal submissions should be made to the email: email@example.com as a file attachment with the subject of SCECSAL2018 Poster Proposal
Proposal Deadline - 31st July 2017
Notification of Acceptance - 31st August 2017
Call for Workshop Proposals
ULIA welcomes proposals for workshops to be conducted during the conference.
Organization and Submission Procedure
The aim of the conference workshops is to emphasize emerging topics of particular interest to the conference attendees not specifically covered in the main Conference. Each workshop may include a mix of regular papers, invited presentations and panels that encourage the participation of attendees in active discussions.
Proposal submissions should be made to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF file attachment with the subject of SCECSAL2018 Workshop Proposal.
Priority will be given to proposals that not only address an exciting topic but also promise a creative format likely to generate lively interactions and foster new ideas. Examples include bringing practitioners and researchers together, as well as facilitating multi-disciplinary discussions that can lead to high impact and transformative exploration.
Each workshop proposal (maximum 1-2 pages) must include:
1. Title of the workshop (Within the main conference sub themes)
2. Description of the technical issues to be covered, emphasizing the timeliness of the proposed workshop
3. Number of participants not exceeding 30 per workshop.
4. Workshop Organizers (names, affiliation and contact information)
5. A short biography of the organizers (up to 200 words)
6. Names of potential participants, such as program committee members and invited speakers
7. Planned format of the workshop, including
a. Duration of the workshop: Half-day, Full-day and tentative schedule
b. Preferred day of workshop: Between Monday 23rd and Saturday 28th April 2018
c. Unique, creative and novel workshops formats are strongly encouraged and will be given particular consideration.
8. Equipment required
Proposal Deadline: 31st July 2017
Notification of Acceptance: 31st August 2017
Early bird registration- Feb 2017- Jan 2018 - $360
Late Registration - 2018 -30 Mar 2018 - $400
On-site Registration - 1st April 2018 - 24 April 2018 - $430
For more information about the conference please visit the links below:http://www.scecsal.org/